ANCESTORS AND DESCENDANTS OF
ANNIE WARD RAINFORD
From Lytham, Lancashire, England
Tower mill, Lytham
ANCESTORS OF ANNIE WARD RAINFORD
This record of our Rainford family line begins with JAMES RAINFORD and PHEBE HILL from Wallasey in the Wirral district, Cheshire, England. The surname Rainford (or Ranford) was mentioned in the Wallasey Parish Church registers from 1646, and even earlier. The family names Richard, Robert, John, Thomas, Joseph, Anne, etc. were repeated through the subsequent generations.
It is believed that the Rainford family originated in Scandinavia and that the name originally was Ragensfiord (‘Ragnar’s ford’). The first Scandinavia Vikings arrived in Ireland in 795 AD, from where a group led by Ingimund the Viking settled in the Wirral in AD 902.
According to the Viking expert, Professor Steve Harding of the University of Nottingham:
“Merseyside is steeped with Viking tradition and the whole area is stuffed full of Viking place names on both sides of the Mersey – even our sporting venues can’t escape from them. Aintree is from Old Norse ‘ein-tre’ meaning one tree, Tranmere is from Old Norse ‘trani-melr’ – crane birds or herons at a sandbank; and outside Anfield Stadium we find Walton Breck Road – Breck is from ‘brekka’ – slope on a hillside.
“The area has some impressive archaeology, particularly on Wirral, including what appears to be weaponry from a Viking burial at Meols, two Viking hogback tombstones (at West Kirby and Bidston), some fantastic cross fragments at Neston (including a replica reconstruction showing the touching image of a Viking couple embracing) and evidence of two Viking houses at Irby and Lingham/Moreton.”
We also have our own genuine Viking saga – the Story of Ingimund, the man who led the first settlements in AD902. Professor Harding adds: “Many people have heard of Tynwald in the Isle of Man where the Vikings had their ‘Thing’ or Assembly, but we have two on Merseyside – Thingwall on Wirral and Thingwall Hall near Ken Dodd’s old jam butty mines at Knotty Ash, showing just how substantial the Viking presence here once was.
And our DNA survey showed that the Vikings are still here – with up to 50% of the DNA of men from Wirral and West Lancashire being Scandinavian in origin. I think it’s a heritage that we can be truly proud of.”
An extract from the St Helens Star, dated 28 September 2012:
“Many local place names have Norse roots… anything ending in ‘by’ like Kirkby, Roby, and Formby were all founded by Vikings and one of the possible explanations for the meaning of Rainford is ‘Ragnar’s ford’. ”
The ancient town Wallasey is recorded in the Doomsday Book of 1086 and lies on the mouth of the River Mersey, at the north-eastern corner of the Wirral Peninsula. The name of Wallasey most likely originates from the word “Walhea” (or Wealas), meaning foreigner or strange, and the Norse “ey” meaning island. In the past Wallasey was virtually an island with only a narrow piece of land connecting it to the mainland of Wirral. The Irish Sea and the Mersey Estuary were the north and east boundaries and the creek Wallasey Pool (now the docks) with its marshlands of Bidston Moss and Leasowe to the south and south-west.
The old St Hillary church and manor house on Church Hill in Wallasy, c.1853.
FIRST KNOWN GENERATION IN WALLASEY
JAMES RAINFORD, son of JOHN RAINFORD (Ranford) and MARGRETT, was baptised in the St Hillary Church, Wallasey, Cheshire, England on 13 June 1680. He married Phebe Hill, daughter of Richard Hill and Ann on 12 December 1706 in the St Hillary Church, Wallasey. Phebe was baptised on 21 May 1689 in Wallasey.
An excerpt from “England, Cheshire Bishop’s Transcripts, 1598-1900”:
Name James Ranford
Event Type Christening
Event Date 13 Jun 1680
Event Place Wallasey, Cheshire, England
Father’s Name John Ranford
Mother’s Name Margrett
SECOND GENERATION IN WALLASEY
JAMES and PHEBE had the following children: (Richard, John, Benjamin, Thomas, Phebe, Mary, Joseph)
1. Richard Rainford was baptised on 20 July 1707 in Wallasey where he died on 21 November 1709.
2. John Rainford was baptised on 26 April 1709 Wallasey and married Hester. They had seven children: Alice, James, Ann, a second James, two Elizabeths and Phebe.
3. Benjamin Rainford was baptised on 4 September 1722 in Wallasey where he died on 6 October 1722.
4. THOMAS Rainford was baptised on 3 March 1711 in Wallasey.
5. Phebe Rainford was baptised on 22 June 1714 in Wallasey where she died on 10 September 1716.
6. Mary Rainford was baptised on 5 May 1719 in Wallasey where she died on 8 June 1722 in Wallasey.
7. Joseph Rainford was baptised on 13 November 1723 in Wallasey where he died on 3 November 1726.
THOMAS RAINFORD, son of JAMES and PHEBE, was baptised on 3 March 1711 in St. Hillary Church, Wallasey and married ELIZABETH JOHNSON on 7 January 1735 in the St Oswald Church parish church, Bidston, Cheshire.
A transcript from the “England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000”:
Name: Thomas Ranford
Event Date: 03 Mar 1711
Event Place: St. Hillary, Wallasey, Cheshire, England
Father: James Ranford
The ancient village of Bidston is situated approximately 4km south of Wallasey or the Wirral peninsula.
The St Oswald’s Church, Bidston. The original church dates back to the 13th century. The tower was built in 1520 and the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1855.
THIRD GENERATION IN WALLASEY
THOMAS and ELIZABETH had the following children: (Phebe, Samuel, Thomas, Elizabeth, James, John, Richard, Joseph and Robert)
1. Phebe Rainford was baptised on 18 November 1735 in Wallasey and died on 9 July 1745.
2. Samuel Rainford was baptised on 19 February 1737 in Wallasey.
3. Jane Rainford was baptised on 28 September 1742 in Wallasey
4. Thomas Rainford was baptised on 15 July 1740 in Wallasey.
5. Elizabeth Rainford was baptised on 11 June 1745 in Wallasey.
6. James Rainford was baptised on 2 March 1747 in Wallasey.
7. John Rainford was baptised on 7 August 1749. He married Sarah Stephens and died in 1815. They had one known child; Elizabeth.
8. Richard Rainford was baptised on 23 April 1751 in Wallasey.
9. Joseph Rainford was baptised on 8 January 1754 in Wallasey.
10.ROBERT Rainford was baptised on 1 November 1757 in Wallasey.
ROBERT RAINFORD, son of THOMAS and ELIZABETH was baptised on 1 November 1757 in St Hillary Church, Wallasey.
A transcript from the “England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 – Wallasey, Cheshire, England; Date Range: 1689 – 1792” – Source: Ancestry.com:
He married JENNET SWARBRICK, daughter of Richard Swarbrick and Margaret Hall on 8 November 1785 in Kirkham, Lancashire. Jennet was born in Freckleton, near Kirkham and was baptised on 30 March 1752 in St Michael Church, Kirkham.
FIRST GENERATION IN KIRKHAM
ROBERT and JENNET had the following children: (Robert, Thomas and John)
- ROBERT Rainford was born in Weeton and baptised on 6 September 1787 in Kirkham. He died in 1863 in Kirkham at the age of 76.
- Thomas Rainford was baptised on 14 May 1786 in St Michael, Kirkham. He married Alice Sturzaker daughter of John Sturzaker and Mary on 3 July 1815 in St Michael, Kirkham.
- John Rainford was baptised on 24 February 1789 in the St Michael Church, Kirkham.
ROBERT RAINFORD, son of ROBERT and JENNET was born in Weeton and baptised on 6 September 1787 in Kirkham. He died in 1863 in Kirkham at the age of 76. The family was living in Weeton at the time.
He married ALICE SWAN, daughter of Thomas Swan and Ellen Sumner. She was born in 1801 in Wharles, Kirkham and baptised on 19 March 1801 in Kirkham where she died in 1861. They were married by R Studholme with witnesses; John Witaker and Mary Swan. Both were living in Wharles.
During the 1851 UK census in Kirkham only six of their eleven children were counted; Ellen 24, Mary 20, Nancy 12, Elizabeth 10, John 8 and Sarah A 3.
Robert died in 1863 in Kirkham at the age of 76 and Alice in 1861, aged 61.
Weeton is a township in the parish of Kirkham, Lancashire, 5km northwest of the town of Kirkham. One of the oldest buildings in the town is the Eagle and Child pub which dates back to 1540.
Weeton—looking across the village green to the Eagle and Child 1952.
Kirkham (originally Kirkham-in-Amounderness) is a small town midway between Blackpool and Preston and adjacent to the smaller town of Wesham where Robert and Jane lived in 1893. The town is built on Carr Hill which was the location of a Roman fort.
The St Michael’s Church, in Church Street, Kirkham.
SECOND GENERATION IN KIRKHAM
ROBERT and ALICE had the following children: (Robert, Ellen, Jenny, Mary, Richard, Alice, Nancy, Elizabeth, John and Sarah Ann)
1. ROBERT Rainford was baptised on 10 April 1823. He died on 11 May 1886.
2. Thomas Rainford was baptised on 27 May 1821 in Kirkham.
3. Ellen Rainford was born about 1827 in Wharles, Kirkham.
4. Jenny Rainford was born about 1829 in Kirkham.
5. Mary Rainford was born about 1831 in Kirkham.
6. Richard Rainford was born about 1833 in Kirkham.
7. Alice Rainford was born about 1837 in Kirkham.
8. Nancy Rainford was born about 1837 in Kirkham.
9. Elizabeth Rainford was born about 1840 in Kirkham.
10. John Rainford was born about 1843 in Kirkham and died on 22 January 1914.
11. Sarah Ann Rainford was born about 1848 in Kirkham.
ROBERT RAINFORD, son of ROBERT and ALICE was baptised by Revd. J. Fox on 10 April 1823 in the St Michaels Church, Kirkham. His father’s occupation is given as “butcher”, living in Wharles (about 4 km north-east of Kirkham).
He married ELLEN WARBRICK daughter of John Warbrick and Alice Aspinall on 19 May 1848 in St John Church, Preston, Lancashire. She was baptised on 22 January 1826 in the Saint Peter Church, Bolton Le Moors, Lancashire.
At the time of their marriage, he was a 21-year-old bachelor from Lytham and his occupation “painter”. Ellen was the same age and living in Fylde Road, Preston. They were married by the curate John Wilson and the witnesses were William Cookson and Alice Warbrick. Both their fathers were “inn keepers”.
During the 1851 England Census, the couple (aged 28 and 24) lived in Henry Street, Lytham with two small children; John 2 and Richard 1. His occupation: painter.
Some of Lytham’s oldest buildings are located in Henry Street.
During the 1861 England Census the couple (aged 38 and 34) lived in Queen Street, Lytham with five children; John 12, Richard 11, Robert 7, Thomas A 3 and William 9 months. His occupation: painter.
During the 1871 England Census, the couple (aged 48 and 44) lived in 10 Queen Street, Lytham – his occupation: plumber, glazier and painter. With them were counted five children; John 22 teacher of music, Robert Henry 16 railroad clerk, Thomas Hiram 13, William Reuben 10 and Alfred James 7.
During the 1881 England Census, the couple (aged 58 and 54) lived in 13 Queen Street, Lytham – his occupation: plumber, glazier and painter employing 3 men and 3 boys. Five of their children were still living with them; John 32 professor of music, Robert Henry 26 painter and decorator, Thomas Hiram 23 painter and decorator, William Reuben 20 bank clerk and Alfred James 17 professor of music.
On the right (nearest corner of the building) is 10 Queen Street and on the opposite side of the street is no. 13, the building with green detail, presently occupied by Capes Dunn & Co.
Both Robert and Ellen died in 1886 and was buried a month apart from the St John the Divine Church in Lytham. She was buried on 12 April 1886, aged 60, and he was buried on 11 May 1886, aged 63.
ROBERT and ELLEN had the following children: (Richard, Alice, Robert Henry, Thomas Hiram, William Reuben and Alfred James)
1. RICHARD Rainford was baptised on 4 November 1849 in the St Cuthbert Church, Lytham where he died in 1932.
2. John Rainford was baptised by R. B. Robinson on 3 September 1848 in the St Cuthbert Church, Lytham.
3. Alice Rainford was baptised by W. H. Self on 27 June 1852 in St John the Divine, Lytham. She died (aged 15 months) in 1854 and was buried on 17 September 1854 from the St John the Divine Church, Lytham.
4. Robert Henry Rainford was baptised by Thomas. B. Loghan on 28 May 1854 in the St John the Divine Church, Lytham.
5. Thomas Hiram Rainford was baptised by W. H. Self on 14 February 1858 in the St John the Divine Church, Lytham.
6. William Reuben Rainford was baptised by Thomas Cox on 5 August 1860 in the St John the Divine Church, Lytham.
7. Alfred James Rainford was baptised by Charles Turrell on 6 September 1863 in the St John the Divine Church, Lytham.
RICHARD RAINFORD, son of ROBERT and ELLEN was baptised was by R. B. Robinson on 4 November 1849 in the St Cuthbert Church, Lytham. He was a plumber and house painter.
Richard married JANE WEBSTER daughter of Joseph Webster and Elizabeth Butcher on 21 November 1869 in the St Cuthbert Church, Lytham.
Jane was born in 1849 in Marton, Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire. She was baptised in 1850.
At the time of the 1881 Census, the six-year-old Annie and her family lived at 20 Market Square, Lytham.
20 Market Square, Lytham – the building in the bottom left corner with the sign “Phills Bakery.”
During the 1881 UK Census, the couple lived at 3 Railway Terrace, Kirkham with nine children: Ellen 18 dressmaker, Annie Ward 16 dressmaker, Alice 14 cotton weaver, Isabel 13, Mary Adelaide 11, John 9, Ruby Maude 7, Kate 5 and Joseph 3. Richard’s occupation is a plumber and painter.
Extract from the 1891 UK Census.
3 Railway Terrace, Kirkham.
During the 1901 UK Census, the couple lived at 85 Rossall Terrace, Lytham with seven children: Isabel 23 laundress, Mary Adelaide 21, John 19 postman, Ruby Maude 17, Kate 15, Joseph 13, Robert 8, Amy Constance 4 and grandson George 2. Richard’s occupation is a painter. The family later moved to 24 Clifton Street, Lytham.
Extract from the 1901 UK Census.
Rossall Terraces in Rossall Road, Lytham St Annes.
24 Clifton Street, Lytham St Annes – the building with the red awning – presently occupied by “Lytham Quality Pies”
Clifton Square at the junction of Church Road, Park Street, Clifton Street and Dicconson Terrace at the east side of Market Square, Lytham. The buildings have been re-built and changed their functions a number of times over the last two hundred years. The Square was pedestrianised in 1997.
Jane died in September 1922 in Lytham at the age of 72.
Richard died in ten years later in 1932 in Lytham at the age of 82.
RICHARD and JANE had the following children: (Elizabeth, Ellen, Annie, Alice, Isabel, Mary Adelaide, John, Ruby Maude, Kate, Joseph, Robert, a second Robert and Amy Constance)
1. Elizabeth Rainford was baptised by T. G. Smart on 29 May 1871 in the St John the Divine church, Lytham. They were living in the St Cuthbert parish of Lytham.
2. Ellen Rainford was baptised T. G. Smart on 20 October 1872 in the St John the Divine church, Lytham.
3. ANNIE WARD Rainford was baptised by T. G. Smart on 2 August 1874. She died on 10 December 1916.
4. Alice Rainford was baptised by Gregory Smart on 4 June 1876 in St John The Divine church, Lytham.
5. Isabel Rainford was baptised by John H. Smart on 3 February 1878.
6. Mary Adelaide Rainford was baptised by H. B. Hawkins on 14 March 1880 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. Mary married William Henry Eccles on 1 August 1899 in St Cuthbert church, Lytham.
7. John Rainford was baptised by H. B. Hawkins on 11 June 1882 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. The family was living in Clifton Square, Lytham.
8. Ruby Maude Rainford was baptised by H. B. Hawkins on 9 December 1883 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. The family was living at 43 Clifton St. Lytham. Ruby married Henry Phelps Williams in 1912 in Lytham.
9. Kate Rainford was baptised by H. B. Hawkins on 13 September 1885 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. The family was still living in Clifton St. Kate married William George Lawrence who was born on July 12 1889, in Glenelg Township, Grey, Ontario, Canada. They had three children; Annie Isabel Ruby (called Ruby), Henry and Phyllis. She married Clifford Laing Marshall and had one child Donald Lawrence. Ruby died on 25 January 1990 in London, Ontario, Canada.
10. Joseph Rainford was baptised by H. B. Hawkins on 13 November 1887 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. The family was still living at 43 Clifton St. Lytham. Joseph married Florence May Greenwood in 1912 in Ormskirk, Lancashire.
11. Robert Rainford was born on 26 November 1888 and baptised by H. J. Sibthorp on 13 January 1889 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. The family was still living in Clifton St. He died as an 18-month old baby and was buried by E. K. Venner on 14 June 1890 in the St John the Divine church, Lytham.
12. Robert Rainford (brother of the first Robert who died as a baby) was baptised by E. J. Hack on 26 March 1893 in the St Michael church, Kirkham, Lancashire. The family was living in Wesham.
13. Amy Constance Rainford was born on 25 July 1896 and baptised by H. B. Hawkins on 13 September 1896 in the St Cuthbert church, Lytham, Lancashire. The family was living in Commonside, Lytham.
43 Clifton Street, Lytham St Annes – presently occupied by “Sew it Seams”.
Commonside – two streets north of Rossall Road.
ANNIE WARD RAINFORD, daughter of RICHARD RAINFORD and JANE WEBSTER was baptised by T.G. Smart on 2 August 1874 in the St John the Divine Church, Lytham. She married THOMAS ARTHUR Beck, son of Thomas Beck and Anne Arnette on 6 August 1895 in the St Michael church, Kirkham, Lancashire. He was born on 6 July 1872 in Preston, Lancashire, and was baptised on 20 August 1872 in the St. John church, Preston. Thomas Arthur was born on 6 July 1872 and baptised on 20 August 1872 in the St John Parish Church, Preston. He died on 10 June 1933 on Plot 3, 2nd Ave, Estoire, Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa. He was buried in June 1933 in Memorial Cemetery, Bloemfontein.
A scan of Thomas Arthur Beck and Annie Ward Rainford’s original marriage certificate. Thomas Arthur’s occupation is noted as ‘Draper’ and Annie’s as ‘Dressmaker’. They were living with her parents in Myrtle Bank, Wesham.
The Parish Church of St Michael in Church Street, Kirkham, an ancient town about 10km south-west of Preston.
Annie Ward Rainford spent her childhood in Lytham. Her father was a plumber and housepainter. Her uncles Robert and Alfred (according to census returns) were ‘professors in music’. She had seven sisters and three brothers.
Annie died on 10 December 1916 on the Farm ‘Umzi’, situated on the site of the current suburb of Noordhoek and partially on the site of Bayswater in Bloemfontein, in the Free State province in South Africa. She is buried in the Memorial Cemetery, Bloemfontein.
Poor Annie, how she must have missed her family. The picture painted from baptism registers shows a close family with her parents travelling to South Africa for her children’s baptisms. She visited them in 1905 and while there one of her sons, Kenneth Percy was born and baptised in Lytham. She gave birth to twelve children over a time span of twenty years and died three weeks after the birth of her youngest, at the age of forty-two.
Thomas Arthur inherited his father’s wholesale drapery business in February 1895 which he sold before immigrating to South Africa.
At the time of the 1901 census Thomas Arthur, Annie and three children, William, Rosalind and Herbert, were living at 21 Addison Road, Preston. Most of the old houses in Addison Road were demolished between 1950 and 1970.’
A Copy the of the 1901 census showing Annie, Arthur and 3 children.
Looking east from Garstang road. This stretch of the road between Brook Street and Garstang Road was known as Addison Road before being re-named Blackpool Road.
Thomas Arthur and Annie left England from Liverpool on 19 July 1902 on the ship “Suevic” for a new life in South Africa. With them were two children Rosalind and William.
A ship at the landing stage in Liverpool.
The White Star Line ship ‘Suevic’
Passenger Transcript Details:
Name: Arthur BECK
Date of departure: 19 July 1902
Port of departure: Liverpool
Passenger destination port: Cape, South Africa
Passenger destination: Cape, South Africa
Date of Birth: 1872 (calculated from age)
Marital status: Married
The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: –
Master’s name: J B Ranson
Where bound: Sydney, Australia
Square feet: 9360
Registered tonnage: 8108
Passengers on voyage: 453
An excerpt from: Was It All Cricket? by Sir Pelham F. Warner, describing life aboard the ‘Suevic’:
‘This White Star liner was a one-class ship, the only difference in the fare being the location of one’s cabin; on deck, from stem to stern, everyone fared the same; it was a sort of glorified ‘second cabin’ class. Meals were frugal and there was no morning or afternoon tea, but most of the women knew of this in advance and had stocks of cake and biscuits. It was in this way that twice a day we split up into merry groups.
After arriving in the Cape the family settled in Bloemfontein.
AND MORE ON ANNIE RAINFORD AND THOMAS ARTHUR BECK
AS WELL AS THEIR DESCENDANTS IN SOUTH AFRICA:
GO TO – http://myfamilie.co.za/?cat=4
Information from family members
Ancestry.com. 1851 England Census database online: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, and 1901 UK census for Kirkham, Lytham and Preston
Free State Archives: Death Notice – Annie Ward Beck
Free State Archives: Will – Thomas Arthur Beck
Free State Archives: Marriage Certificate Annie Ward and Thomas Arthur Beck
The London Family History Centre, within The National Archives Kew, London
Probate Court, Holborn, London: Will – Thomas Beck
Old Memorial Cemetery, Bloemfontein: Gravestones of Annie & TA Beck
Bainsvlei Cemetery: Gravestones of Frank and Jossie
Chester Archaeological and Historical Society
Online Parish Clerks project for the County of Lancashire
Church registers: FamilySearch
England, Cheshire Bishop’s Transcripts, 1598-1900: FamilySearch
England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000: FamilySearch
A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 – Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
The Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire: http://www.hslc.org.uk/Search-Journals?ind_id=156
Lancashire Birth, Marriage and Death indexes: http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/
Online Parish Clerks project for the County of Lancashire: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Passenger Transcript Details: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListShowTranscript.action?uvn=375000012&vsn=121